Saturday, April 25, 2009

Paphos Archaeology , Paphos Lighthouse and Shish Kebab (Gyros)


I must say that every day that passes I am very happy with the town hall of Paphos (Cyprus) and especially with the mayor and the council of the town.

Their capability to govern the town is amazing. I admire the fact that they really look after our touristic attractions and ancient monuments in a monumental way.

Pafos has a landmark, its lighthouse. All of us who live here have admired amazing sunsets under this magnificent witness of the importance of our town in the navigation world. I am sure the mayor himself must have given a kiss to his wife overlooked by the lighthouse, I am sure that all absolutely all of the members of the council have walked to the lighthouse during their youth accompanied by this special person, I am sure that all of them forgot about this area of the town, the most beautiful place of our town. They forgot about it, and this easy to confirm that if you just walk there from inside the archaeological park (avoiding meter and half high weeds).

On your way to the lighthouse you will have the pleasure to see how the sensible department of Antiquities of the Republic of Cyprus preserves the Roman Odeon and its surroundings, including the waste bins. You will enjoy the view of tins and empty plastic bottles, tissues and other environmental friendly waste that decorate the pathways to the lighthouse.

I had the opportunity to do the full tour with friends from Spain that were here in Pafos during Easter time. It was really fantastic to see how our predecessors did not think of leaving instructions of how to clean the area around St. Pauls Pillar, I cannot understand how those wise men did not think something so important.

I would like to thank Mr. Savvas Vergas and his team for the sharing the waste of the city with my guests from Spain in the Archaeological Routes of Paphos, thank them for saving money on cleaning in order to invest them in beating the world Guinness record of the biggest Shish Kebab (Gyros) again. This Guinness record really makes me very proud as a citizen of Paphos and this is why I will encourage all my friends to honour this council again in the next municipal elections.

Thank you for running our town so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for you comments, they are very valuable to us.